- For it as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, "Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master." And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying "Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master." Then the one who had received the one talen also came forward, saying, "Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours." But his master replied, "You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
-- Matthew 25:14, NRSV
- Happy are those who find wisdom,
and those who get understanding,
for her income is better than silver,
and her revenue better than gold.
She is more precious than jewels,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
-- Proverbs 3:13-15, NRSV
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to do it.
Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it"
-- when you have it with you.
Do not plan harm against your neighbor
who lives trustingly beside you.
Do not quarrel with anyone without cause,
when no harm has been done to you.
-- Proverbs 3:27-30, NRSV
- Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, nor turn away
from the words of my mouth.
Do not forsake her, and she will keep you;
love her, and she will guard you.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom
and whatever else you get, get insight.
Prize her highly, and she will exalt you;
she will honor you if you embrace her.
-- Proverbs 4:5-8, NRSV
- You got to be a spirit. You can't be a ghost.
- I'm a Senator. I got to raise $10,000 a day every day I'm in Washington. I ain't gettin' it in South Central -- I'm gettin' it in Beverly Hills! And so I'm votin' in the Senate the way they want me to. And I'm sendin' them my bills...but we got babies in South Central dying as young as they do in Peru. We got public schools that are nightmares. We got a Congress that ain't got a clue.
-- Senator Jay Bulworth
- "Find people who love to win," he [Perot] lectured the recruiters. "If you can't find people who love to win, then find some people who hate to lose."
-- page 109
- After the third one [child], I'm getting my tubes tied!
-- Andy Schreiner - February 16, 2000
- A German group is negotiating for the movie rights to Jim Henson's Muppets. Their first project: The Muppets Take Poland.
-- Craig Kilborn, The Late Late Show - February 16, 2000
- Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work.
-- Robert Orben