Urgent this week:
- If a new survey is accurate, you probably have some programs on your computer that haven't been updated in too long. If you have a program that interacts with the Internet in any way, you probably ought to check every once in a while to make sure that it's up-to-date.
Important to do every week:
- Run a backup of your important computer files and store it in a safe location.
- Update your anti-spyware software and run it. If you need free anti-spyware software, download Spybot Search and Destroy.
- Update your anti-virus software and run it. If you need free anti-virus software, download AVG Anti-Virus.
Other recommended security measures:
- Set up a limited-access user account on your computer and use it for most purposes. Only use administrator mode when installing and uninstalling programs.
- Use Firefox, Opera, Safari, or another web browser other than Internet Explorer. They're easy to install.
Online crook of the week:
- If you've never heard of a service, and it's suddenly offering you lots of money, beware:
Financial-related spam is one of the fastest-growing nuisances today.
- This week's Spam Index: 6,776
Other helpful links: