Urgent this week:
Important to do every week:
- Run a backup of your important computer files and store it in a safe location.
- Update your anti-spyware software and run it. If you need free anti-spyware software, download Spybot Search and Destroy.
- Update your anti-virus software and run it. If you need free anti-virus software, download AVG Anti-Virus.
Other recommended security measures:
- Set up a limited-access user account on your computer and use it for most purposes. Only use administrator mode when installing and uninstalling programs.
- Use Firefox, Opera, Safari, or another web browser other than Internet Explorer. They're easy to install.
Online crook of the week:
- Sometimes crooks will copy legitimate (or semi-legitimate) e-mail newsletters from other sources and essentially re-brand them in order to carry their crooked attacks:
The best defense is consumer vigilance.
- This week's Spam Index: 6,678. That figure puts us close to the range we had been in throughout most of April.
Other helpful links: