Urgent this week:
- Don't fall victim to the new Nigerian bank scam e-mails going around
- Beware: Scam artists are now poisoning PDF files that they send as spam
- Don't open any "greeting card" or "ecard" e-mails you receive for a while; there's been a massive surge in spam and viruses masquerading as those messages lately
- Whether you use Windows, Macintosh, or Linux, you need to get an update for your Flash player
- Windows users need to be sure to get this month's updates
Important to do every week:
- Run a backup of your important computer files and store it in a safe location.
- Update your anti-spyware software and run it. If you need free anti-spyware software, download Spybot Search and Destroy.
- Update your anti-virus software and run it. If you need free anti-virus software, download AVG Anti-Virus.
Other recommended security measures:
- Set up a limited-access user account on your computer and use it for most purposes. Only use administrator mode when installing and uninstalling programs.
- Use Firefox, Opera, Safari, or another web browser other than Internet Explorer. They're easy to install.
Other helpful links: